What to Do with Your Life: 25 Questions to Ask Yourself
It’s probably the hardest question you’ll ever have to answer: what should you do with your life? What’s the best way to utilise your time and abilities to give your life joy and meaning? It doesn’t help that the answer is different for all of us but here are 25 questions to ask that may bring clarity and insight.
Make sure to write down your answers. (On occasion you can also write down answers to the opposite question, e.g. “What do I look forward to?” and “What do I dread?” Doing so may lend further insight).
On your search, you must be willing to continually try new things and experiment with your life, even if you don’t have the answers or know where things will lead.
A friendly heads-up: there are likely no concrete answers. Discovering your purpose is not a black-and-white process with definitive answers. It will be a process of trial and error and making constant adjustments. Like a boat heading towards a destination, you will need to make many corrections along the way. You may not even know exactly where you’re going but heading in the right general direction is a good start. You can fill in the details the closer you get.
25 questions to uncover your purpose
- How do you define purpose? i.e. “When I’m living my purpose, I feel…”
- How will you know if you’ve found your purpose? i.e. “When I found my purpose, my life will be…” or “I will know I’ve found my purpose when…”
- Putting aside all issues of practicality and how you will accomplish it, what do you really want out of life?
- What would give you the feeling that you were contributing? (Either to others, your community or the world itself.)
- What will you do once you’ve found your purpose?
- What would you have to believe about yourself to live a purposeful life?
- What topics do people ask you for advice on? Or, what problems do you enjoy helping people with?
- What do you love doing? What activity seems to make time fly?
- What do you hate doing?
- What activities give you a sense of meaning and fulfilment?
- What activities does your personality lend itself to?
- What comes easy to you?
- What activities put you in a state of flow where you completely lose yourself and time flies?
- What are you interested in? What topics/activities do you gravitate towards?
- What is your inner voice telling you?
- Pretend for a moment you know what your purpose is. In broad terms, what kind of work would you be doing? What industry would you be involved in?
- What would you do if it was impossible to fail?
- What would you do if you were confident, brave or unafraid?
- Imagine a friend has asked you to help them find their purpose. What would you advise they do?
- What moves you to tears?
- What do you think is a grave injustice in the world?
- What would you be doing if money was not an issue?
- If you had 10 years left to live, what would you be doing with your life?
- If you had 10 years left to live, what wouldn’t you waste time on?
- What action can you take right now? You don’t need to see the entire path, just take the first step.