Overwhelmed by Social Media? Here’s a Solution
Even if you are convinced of the value of social media marketing, where do you find the time? Between running your business and having a life, where do you fit in marketing on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest… and the “next big thing”? It’s no surprise so many dabble with social media, become quickly overwhelmed and then give up. The good news is there’s a simpler way to run your marketing strategy.
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
~ Albert Einstein
Let’s be realistic, you have a business to run, new content to create and personal commitments outside of work. You just don’t have the time, resources nor energy to cover every social media channel – so don’t try. You don’t have to be everywhere. It’s better to do a few things well than lots of things poorly. So pare back the excess, get focused and stick to a workable plan.
- Keep it simple. Pareto’s principle suggests that 80% of the results come from 20% of the causes. Identify the 20% of social marketing channels that bring you 80% of the benefits, i.e. traffic, leads, authority. Focus on this 20% and forget about the other 80%.
- Keep it manageble. What marketing efforts can you comfortably perform each day? Engaging in every social channel for hours a day is neither realistic nor necessary. Set yourself 2-3 marketing tasks you can perform consistently over the long-run, e.g. tweet twice a day; share an interesting article on Facebook; comment intelligently on an influencer’s blog post etc. Decide on what amount of social marketing you can realistically engage in.
- Keep at it. Social media marketing is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes a while to be noticed. Don’t despair, persevere. By keeping things simple and doable you ensure you’ll be around for the long-term.
An overview of social media options and how best to use them
There are myriad social media choices out there. Which is right for you and how should you use them? E-consultancy produces a handy introduction to the main channels out there. (Just remember one thing: be sure to choose the channel(s) where your target audience gather and ignore the others). From their article:
- Twitter. Tweet daily. If you’re not consistently posting content your followers will lose interest. Republish old content. There’s no reason not to shout about good stuff you’ve done in the past, especially if you have evergreen content. Use hashtags to get your posts noticed…
- Facebook. Don’t hard sell. This is very important. People aren’t generally looking to buy stuff on Facebook. Show them something genuinely interesting. Encourage conversation by asking people questions. Keep it brief. Save the long copy for your blog page. Post photos and videos to your timeline. Research suggests these are the most shared types of content…
- Instagram. Don’t be afraid of detailed descriptions. Instagram may be all about imagery, but an interesting description can really put a picture or video into context. Use your profile text to post relevant links. Then mention the link in the photo description.Post original video content as well as images. People will love you for it…
Read the full post here: https://econsultancy.com/blog/66706-60-quick-social-media-tips-for-beginners/
- Make sure your social media marketing is simple, doable and something you can consistently do over a long period.
- Concentrate on channels used by your target audience. Ignore the rest.
- Social media marketing is a marathon, not a sprint. Results require time. Don’t think a lack of feedback means your efforts are in vain. Most people who enjoy your content may never engage directly with you but still find it valuable and keep an eye on what you do, create or sell.
- Choose 2-3 social media channels that will form the foundation of your social media marketing strategy. We suggest Facebook, Twitter and YouTube or Instagram or Pinterest. (Depending on what you’re promoting, different channels will serve you better than others – choose the channel that best fits your offer; that’s frequented by your target market and which plays to your marketing strengths). You really don’t need more than this to begin with. (As you grow, you can hire social marketers to expand your presence to other channels).
- Print off E-consultancy’s guide to give you a solid plan for engaging in your chosen channels.
- Ensure you keep a consistent brand image across all your marketing channels, e.g. identical logos, fonts, self-photo. If you do not have a consistent brand image, hire someone on Upwork to help you create one.